Saturday 27 October 2012

Book Review: Shadowfever (Fever #5) by Karen Marie Moning

Book Cover. Hardcover copy.

This review can also be read on my Goodreads profile.

Rating: Full 5 huge-shining-stars!


Whoa.

I..
I don't know what to say.
I don't have any words.
I don't know any words.

Not for how well-written it was, not for what it made me feel.

I rocked your world, it says! The book. Shadowfever.
"You did," I say, stop and stare.

description

Beauty is an opinion, and opinion- like it says in this book, like I've always believed- is subjective. So if I say it's beautiful, would I come closer to defining what I think? Or do I open more doors, more options to consider while I hunt for the right word? 

You guessed it: I LOVE THIS SERIES.

This is what, the 3rd time I've re-read it? 4th? 5th? I don't remember and neither do I give a damn. I'm writing a review, after all these re-reads- not because I didn't care for it, but because I didn't think anything I'd write would come close to the awe and love I felt for it. No matter, I feel like I just HAVE to give it a try once at least.

Karen Marie Moning not only gave me one of the best series I've ever read, but she, through her words, made me feel kindred.

Sounds crazy? 

Weird?

Stupid?

Lemme repeat: I DON'T CARE. 

The spiritual transcendence of the world she created and the philosophy she endorsed, I could do nothing but connect and agree.

"He looked at me and I shivered. I never get enough of him. Never will.
He lives.
I breathe.
I want. Him. Always.
Fire to my ice. Ice to my fever." 

Let's talk about the characters, specifically Mac, Barrons and Dani . 

MacKayla Lane: When she started the journey she didn't even know she was boarding a passage for, she was portrayed to be a knockout blonde with feathers and fluff, smart -if quite ignorant- and not much substance. She was self-centered and slightly annoying, but you couldn't hate her, not even if you tried. You felt her pain, you felt her desires, you felt her embarrassment, you felt her loss and you felt her joys.  
Later she learned, she fought, she grew nails and became powerful. She loved, she lost, she loved again and kept fighting for her beliefs. She blew away any chance you had of hating her. Not then, not now, never ever. She made herself worthy of respect, she made herself into a dear friend you loved, even with her many flaws.   

Jericho Barrons: Ahh. I've admired this man, lusted for him and have loved him ever since the beginning, ever since he was first introduced. 

The constant jackass, I love this man. 

There are heroes who start out as jerks and assholes- degrade and demean- and yet you love them. They humiliate the heroine every once in a while and their insolence is blamed on the torture they underwent, the battle scars they now wear. After all, hasn't he suffered enough? The love of a good woman is just what he needs. 

Make no mistake. 

This is NOT what it is, this is NOT who he is.

This man, he never showed anything he wasn't. He's been through hell and has kept going, never once bragging about it. He's battle hardened and has loved and ultimately lost. But he doesn't wear those facts as a badge, nor do they define him. He has learned. He has learned and lived, because that's what he does. He's rude and dangerous and impossibly powerful. But he has never pretended to be otherwise. He's always been there for Mac- though admittedly demonstrating indefinite courage along with a ruthless slyness time and time again- always ready to save her from all harm, save her from her own shadow if need be. If you don't like him, you don't like him. But if you love him, even slightly like him, you know what I mean.

Dani O'Malley: Or like she's says it, Dani Mega O'Malley.
This character is impossible not to love or hold in high esteem and is BADASS to the very super energized core of her. Man, she was awesome! A 13-year old warrior, she was courageous and she was fierce. Her tragedies are not small, but she has evolved and stood strong through the worst of the storms. After I found out that there's going to be a spin-off series with her as the leading character in it, I have been going crazy with the need to read it. When I say fantastic? I mean--

description

The writing, as always has been the case with KMM, is flawlessly beautiful. The plot was brilliant and I jumped every few minutes just with excitement of it all. She made me feel a part of this incredible world she created, she made me a part of it. I loved the scraps of conversations with the Sinsar Dubh, the Unseelie King's book of knowledge and power. I don't know how to translate all I feel, all I think, but it's to say the least that in the end, Fever World wasn't just a fantasy world of mythical creatures and monstrous books and prophecies but a real mystical three-dimensional world playing it all out before your eyes while maybe, you went out to fight battles along side the characters, or learn lessons along side them or maybe just stared, slack-jawed, drinking it all in, thirsting for more. 

I have lots to say, lot of people to talk about namely V'lane, the Dreamy Eyed Guy, Christian (--->I really really like this man!), Ryodan and let's not forget the queen bitch here, the Grand Mistress of the abbey- Rowena. 

There were characters I never liked, characters who I really liked but this review is already so long as it is, I think you'll be glad I'm putting a full stop right here, right now (in another couple of words, a few sentences, a paragraph.. or two perhaps?).

As you already know, this here, is one of my top favorites book series, and if you haven't read it, I suggest you, encourage you, I dare you, to give it a try. READ IT. I already know how you are going to feel.

description

No comments:

Post a Comment